Soft and durable
Under the Nile exclusively uses organic Egyptian cotton in all of our ethically-made baby clothes and products, simply because it's the best in the world. Egyptian cotton has the reputation of being the softest and most luxurious fiber– and for good reason. Egypt's unique climate produces the longest cotton fibers, which translate into the softest and most durable clothing that withstands wash after wash, lasting longer and staying uniquely soft as it's handed down through generations.
No harmful chemicals
Our GOTS certified organic cotton is grown without chemicals, using nature-based solutions to manage pests and nourish soil instead of harmful pesticides and fertilizers.
We only use low impact GOTS certified dyes, which are better for babies, adults, and the environment.
- No harmful toxins are used and it’s biodegradable.
- Low impact dyes use 60% less water than conventional dyes.
- Low impact dyes also use lower temperatures. Lower temperatures allow for nearly all of the dye to adhere to the fabric, resulting in only 5% waste– compared to the industry standard of 50% waste with conventional dyes.
All of our products are bleach-free. We get our white colors with oxygen whitening and never use chemical finishings on any of our fabrics.
Our “Never” List
What you will never find in Under the Nile products:
- Azo dyes: Synthetic dyes known to be carcinogenic and can cause hyperactivity in children
- Bleach: We use oxygen whitening instead to keep our whites consistent from varying colors in cotton
- BPAC Bisphenol A: typically used to harden plastic toys and water bottles
- Flame retardants
- Formaldehyde: A chemical finishing found on fabrics for wrinkle resistance and for better dye penetration
- Lead/nickel: Used in snaps and dyes
- PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride): Used in fabric dyes and plastic toys to make them bend
- Phthalates: Used to make plastic flexible and more durable. Can damage the liver, kidneys, lungs, and reproductive system