It’s pretty exciting to see that organic cotton has become so popular in recent years, even making its way into mainstream fashion. Everybody knows that organic cotton is good for our health and planet, but do you know why?
1. What are the main benefits of using organic cotton?
a) Organic cotton agriculture uses less resources
b) Organic cotton is always non-GMO
c) Farming organic cotton reduces pollution and prevents water contamination
d) All of the above
Answer: D, All of the above - learn more here
2. How much of the world´s total production of pesticides is used in farming conventional cotton?
a) Around 5%
b) Around 10%
c) Around 15%
d) Around 20%
Answer: C, Around 15%
3. What are the requirements to qualify for an “organic cotton” label from the USDA?
a) No pesticides used in the field for the last 3 years
b) Approved by an independent third-party certifier
c) Fertilized without the use of any chemicals
d) All of the above
Answer: D, All of the above, learn more here
4. What is the only certification that sets the world standard for production of organic cotton textiles?
a) United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)
b) Council for Organic Cotton Clothing (COCC)
c) Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS)
d) Organic Trade Association (OTA)
Answer: C, Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS)
5. True or false: Farming organic cotton interferes with habitat of small animals and insects
Answer: False, organic cotton does not interfere, but rather, encourages natural habitat.
6. True or false: organic cotton is a better choice for people who work in cotton farms and in clothing factories
Answer: True, organic cotton does not have toxic chemicals, which makes it safe for farmers, factory workers, their families and entire communities. Learn more about health benefits from organic cotton here
7. True or false: organic cotton is the best choice for newborns, babies and people with sensitive skin
Answer: True, free from toxic chemicals makes organic cotton the safe and healthy choice for sensitive skin. Learn more here
How did you do in our quiz? Please leave a comment below - We'd love to know what else you know about organic cotton, or what other questions you might have.
Thanks for playing!