Are you ready to make 2018 your best year ever?
New Years is a great time to reflect on your past successes and set goals for the year ahead.
Being a new mom is incredibly fulfilling, but caring for a little baby is hard work. New Moms can feel intense pressure to set big goals for their family every January, which just leaves you feeling overwhelmed throughout the year.
I prefer to set small achievable goals that will make daily and weekly life a little easier for everyone and have come up with 15 New Year Resolutions that every new mom can appreciate.
- Give Up Guilt - It’s easy to become overwhelmed with guilt when you have a new baby in your life, but it doesn’t make your life any better. Stop feeling guilty when things don’t go as planned, and embrace the fact that life can be messy.
- Say No - Start making it a habit to say "no" to the things you can't handle. You lead a busy life and there are lots of people who need your time. Only say “yes” to the things you really care about.
- Date Night - Set a weekly Date night to give you and your spouse a chance to re-connect. It doesn't have to be elaborate. You can go out to dinner or have a movie-night at home.
- Me Time - Creating time for yourself is key to keeping your sanity. Schedule “me time” in your calendar for baths, naps and general self-care. You (and your family) will appreciate the new you.
- Kid Time - Plan a special activity with your kids once a week or every weekend. It can be something simple. But this will give you a chance to connect and create new memories.
- Wake Up Early - Do you wish you had a little extra time to yourself everyday? Try waking up 30-minutes earlier than your family to create time for yourself. This will give you a fresh start each day.
- Make Friends - Having a network of other moms can be incredibly valuable as you navigate the challenges of motherhood. Get to know other new moms and start building a support network.
- Be Present - Technology is part of our daily routine, but it can often distract us from the simple moments of everyday life. Take time off of technology for a little bit each day to be present with your family.
- Get Messy - It is easy to get overwhelmed by a messy house, but it can distract you from the bigger picture. Lower your standards for a clean house by embracing more mess.
- Ask for Help - Stop trying to do it all and ask for help when necessary. It doesn’t make you a bad mother. It just creates time for the things you really value.
What resolutions are you focused on this year? What would you add to our list? Leave your ideas in the comments!